I committed to doing this blog last week, I mean really committed. I mean decided this is the real deal. Then I got excited, very excited, and a few days later… I was a little anxious, and worried. Luckily, this week I read Mel Robbin’s book The 5 Second Rule.
You basically count backwards as a way to distract yourself and motivate yourself to do things, instead of getting overwhelmed by your emotions. It is owning your mind like a boss!
For example, “I fear nobody will like what I have to share, I do not know how to fix my website so it looks better.”
“5,4,3,2,1. Right now, I am going to call someone and see how much it will cost to get help fixing my website.”
Doing this blog is good for me. It is teaching me to move forward on my dreams, when I feel anxious and doubt rushes in, I count backwards from 5 to 1 to interrupt the anxious loop. I take charge of my brain. Because I am in charge of my brain, and so are you. I am making the life I want.
Love Blossoms Where Kindness Lives
This is my new favorite quote, I like it because it helps me remember to be nice to myself, and to my family, to let love in.
I love fresh flowers picked from my yard. I think loving yourself has a lot to do with knowing what makes you happy, and paying attention to being kind to yourself. I think I learned to love myself through being kind to myself, and learning what makes me happy. I am paying attention to what makes me happy, what relaxes me, and I am trying to have those things in my life as much as possible. It has been helpful to put a list together. You might think of making a list too.
Here is a list of the things that put a smile on my face, and help me relax.
- Fresh Cut Flowers
- Eating strawberries out of my garden.
- Drinking Swedish Earl Grey Tea, with cream.
- Ice Cream with cream poured on top.
- Laying in my hammock.
- Going outside in the morning.
- My son.
- My husband.
- My family.
- Boot Camp.
- Basically when I exercise so hard my face is blotchy, and I am breathing extremely hard, and I have to bend over to be able to breathe. I love it when I push myself hard, and I feel strong and accomplished.
- Changing my beliefs about myself into positive beliefs.
- Loving my body.
- Being outside.
- Eating on my patio.
- Sleeping under the stars.
- Floating in the pool.
- Hot Baths with Epsom Salt and candles.
- Crossing stuff off of my list.
- Staying in my budget.
- Writing or drawing in my journal.
- Walks before bedtime.
- Washing my face.
- Water fights with my Grandpa or my son.
- Going to the Ranch.
- Spending time with my Grandparents.
- A clean house.
- Learning how to say new things in Chinese.
- Thinking of the embarrassing things I have said in Chinese.
- Laughing with my son.
- Foam Rolling.
- Playing Connect Four and Uno with my son on the patio with watermelon.
- Headspace….a meditation app.
- A night of sleep without being wakened by my son.
- A friend bringing me dinner when I am sick.
- My hilarious brothers teaching me the art of the hashtag in conversation.
- My sisters.
- The year my Swedish sister and her family lived with us for a year.
- My mom making me costumes when I was little, and rocking me when I was sick.
- My dad making me a porch swing just because I asked.
- My wonderful friends.
Well if you made it all the way to 50, thanks for reading through my ideas. It has been a journey figuring out what I like, it seems so simple, but really a few years ago, I had no idea these simple things brought me so much pleasure. It is through getting to know myself, and paying attention to these small pleasures, that I am changing my life and becoming a much happier person. Think about trying to make up your own list, I think it is quite therapeutic. It feels empowering to realize there are so many things that are easy to do that make me feel so relaxed and happy.
So get writing, get thinking, get relaxing, get happy!
Lot’s of love,